There is a “Cyber Security Time bomb” that’s about to detonate (BOOM!!!). This is as a result of a high use of digital products as well as mobile payments. This digitalization process has grown tremendously and many first time users have joined. Unfortunately many have a low level of awareness about security as this gives rise to cybercrime.
Some of the challenges faced are:
- Lack of cyber security skills: there is a large gap to be filled in the cyber security ecosystem and the world is in need of “CYBER HEROES”.
- High demand of industry professionals to fill up the ever increasing demand. (In Africa, only about 10,000 are certified cyber security professionals.)
- Lack of Institutions offering cyber security as a subject.
In addition, only 20% of the current cyber security global workforce are occupied by women. This is really low when compared to the large percentage dominated by males.
- “Any act that influences a person to take action that may or may not be in their best interest”
- The science of manipulating human behavior to conduct a security breach”
- Psychology + Manipulation + Misdirection.
Amygdala Hijack = Relaxed → Anxious → Panic
Typical Methods of Social Engineering:
Things to expect beyond 2020:
- More sophisticated, targeted phishing attacks-automation (laser phishing).
- Use of deep fakes in vishing.
- More extortion schemes (sextortion, ransom ware attacks).
Things to be done:
- More cyber security and tech in curriculum.
- Internship opportunities.
- More collaborative private and public sector.
- More student incentivation and awareness programs.